Monday, October 21, 2013
















I began this picture thinking it would be such a breeze and yet somehow it still turned into a fight to the death. After four failed attempts, each one almost finished, I was in complete and utter despair and ready to give up. Luckily, Randall courageously dared to come down to the studio to see what all the wailing and smashing of furniture was about and calmly pulled this version out of the trash. "You can save this one. Really. I'm not just saying it." With no hope left and nothing to lose, I dove in again, oddly liberated by the thought that I would be no worse off than before she came downstairs.
I've been learning this lesson over and over again since the first time I picked up a pencil-- to throw caution to the wind and trust that it will work out. Easier said than done. But after all that struggle and some help from my lovely wife, I have to admit, I kind of like this piece.
It's not the one I pictured, but really, how often does that happen anyway?


11 comments:

  1. Love the line weights in this image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its strangely motivating to hear that other artists have days like this too, we are all in this together. The end piece is gorgeous Peter! Be very proud

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got so frustrated, once, that I broke and tore up a canvas. Felt good at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Davvero interessante sia l'immagine che la storia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know EXACTLY how Randall feels! I go through the same thing with Larry. However, I on the other hand keep my wailing on the inside and attack my flailing illustration until it's looks like moldy Swiss cheese.
    So, it's actually better to wail and get a fresh eye from someone who understands rather than hide in corner with moldy Swiss cheese! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. The piece and your work in general always speaks to the "moment" in my day. I could be thinking of the morning crap bag and see one of your sketches/pieces and boom!!! Just like that a moment is given. You are a great story teller and I inspire to be a better illustrator because of what I see you do. I am in my process now...and am enjoying yours(at least what I can see you do). Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! Would love to see some of your preliminary sketches if you have them to share. A wonderful cover ... on many, many levels!

    ReplyDelete