Thursday, February 18, 2010

Curses...!


Only a couple of you fell into my trap. My last Frazetta post was meant to teach you the same lesson I got taught, but without costing you $1800. That drawing was also a fake, a fact I was blissfully unaware of for the five years it proudly hung in my studio. The only excuse I can offer for that blunder is that the only reproduction I had ever seen of the piece was in a yellowed Ace paperback circa 1965 and printed on low quality newsprint paper.
Still, when you actually get a good look at the both of them together, the truth of the matter becomes painfully obvious.
To quote a famous Scottish engineer: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

8 comments:

  1. This one has much more concrete forms than the copy. Glad to know that this is the real one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should stop collecting... maybe... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to Franzetta, I found this. Think it's pretty amusing.

    http://raro-raro.blogspot.com/2009/07/concurso-de-imitadores-de-escenas-de.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sly trickster you! haha
    fooled me ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch man!! sorry to hear that....

    Frazettas the man....And I understand the desire to own a piece of his work.

    jriggity

    ReplyDelete
  6. and you were happy until you found out it was a fake.

    Just enjoy the piece. . . and keep buying Frazetta pieces . . . . I think I may go into the Frazetta copying business. . . . I mean . . . I heard there are some old pieces that are going up for sale soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah hell. Sorry this had to happen to you. Is this image the one I sent to you?

    -Craig

    Craig Elliott Gallery

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the lessons Peter. Stimulating eye exercise in comparing the forger to the master.

    ReplyDelete