Thursday, August 13, 2009

The First Post






Well, here it is. My first blog. My first post on my first blog. I feel like I'm addressing an empty room.
Hello?
Hello?
Hello?


Luckily, I do have a few things to mention, otherwise, why would I bother to build this digital soapbox? First and foremost, I am very happy to announce that I've finally gotten around to illustrating a children's book after many years of putting it off with the same perennial excuse: "I can't find the right story." All of that ended when my lovely wife, Randall, came up with a very charming tale she called, The Duchess of Whimsy. It had all the ingredients I was looking for in a story: absurd characters, playful language that doesn't condescend to the child, plenty of opportunities to draw animals (I'll use any excuse), and above all, a warm heart at it's core. It's a quirky love story about the Earl of Norm, a very plain and simple man who adores the Duchess of Whimsy, a beautiful and eccentric royal who has no patience for the ordinary. The book will be published by Penguin/Philomel in October 2009. Somewhere down the line, I may post some sketches and talk about developing the book and collaborating with Randall.
And yes, we're still married.
By the way, Randall has written two other books- Toy Boat, also by Penguin/Philomel and a New York Times Bestseller! Plus, another due out in January 2010, Mathilda, the Orange Ballon from Harper Collins.







14 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to see you start a blog. I'm a big admirer of your work and look forward to seeing your posts! congratulations on the books, they look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful! I'm very interested to see it once Oct. 29 comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog world, Peter. I've been hoping you might do something like this for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Peter! Good news! Hurray! I'm sure the place will be crowded really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Peter ! So Great to visit your own blog ! A big Hurray ! And now, you won't have time enough to make your contribution on the Sketchtravel 's sketchbook because you have to read comments...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great and worth the wait:)
    I'm sure you are extremely busy, what with 2 cool new tomes on the horizon, but it would be wonderful to see you:
    "...post some sketches and talk about the developing the book and collaborating with Randall ."
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't realize you got a blog, Peter! I'm really happy you became a blogger.
    I can't wait to get a copy of The Duchess Of Whimsy. I remember it looked great at the Con.
    Speaking of the Con, thanks for taking the time to look at my book and chatting a bit. It was very nice to meet you!

    -Tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im so excited that you have a blog, I have been a big fan for a long time.

    Also, the book looks amazing, Ill definitely be picking it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, both you and C.F. Payne have blogs now! The world is indeed a better place. Now, if only I had money to buy all these books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, grreat news. Congratulations Peter! I always look forward to seeing your new work and as it happens I have an ongoing collection of children's books and have a spot reserved, on my shelf, for your book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book looks beautiful. I am very much looking forward to this one! You continue to amaze and inspire, kind sir...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Hello Mr. Peter, this is my first time at your blog but surely not the last, obviously, this should not be new to you, but you're a great artist! you have great sensitivity for drawing, you have a great gift! I have a good time enjoy all what I've seen here, I could write on any post, but this illustration of the banquet, it's certainly my favorite! really congrats man!

    Hey, with great humility, I invite you to take a look at my blog, and, please, give me your comment, I appreciate it a lot! Thanks!

    EE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Imagine the plight of the busy career person struggling for fulfillment within the business world, while trying to effectively balance the responsibility of school-age children on the one hand, and in home senior look after elderly or housebound affordable Personal Care Services relatives on the opposite . Child care has become almost a natural a part of the working world and there are many facilities developing to supply a secure , supervised environment for youngsters of all ages. In fact, many companies are providing child - care facilities or other assistance as an employee benefit.

    ReplyDelete